16 May Bakery-Style Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Enjoy these delightful pastries sprinkled with coarse sugar or on their own— and don’t forget the lemon glaze!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup plain whole milk yogurt or low-fat yogurt
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, optional
- 1 1/2 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
For the Glaze
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling (optional)
Total Time: 25 minutes | Serves 12
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375°F. Grease 12-cup muffin tin. Whisk flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk yogurt, lemon zest, and eggs until smooth. Gently fold yogurt mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Fold in melted butter. Do not overmix. If you overmix, the muffins will be dense.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Rotate muffin tin halfway through baking.
- While muffin are baking, simmer sugar and lemon juice together in a small saucepan over medium heat until it turns into a light syrup, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove muffin tin to a wire rack. Brush with lemon syrup. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Let muffins cool in tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool for another 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 319Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 308mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.